“For last year's words belong to last year's language
And next year's words await another voice.”
― T.S. Eliot, Four Quartets
I want to begin this year by making a list of what I am thankful for. Instead of thinking about how much I want to change (and that list is long!), I want to take a minute to think about what I wouldn't change!
1. My family- extended and close. I'm so lucky to have a great husband and two great kids. I'm even luckier to get along with my oldest one's father. Together all of us have a relationship that others might envy. My oldest doesn't come from a broken home but rather an OPEN home where all things are possible in the name of raising great children!
I have my sisters and Keith's family too, all of whom without, I'd be terribly lost!
2. My children- also included in family but specifically the smile I get from my little non-verbal 15 month old and the way he hugs me. I love the way my oldest is full of good ideas and loves his brother so much.
3. The space to do my artwork. Many times I look at my front porch and yearn for a studio space or lament the fact that I need to organize it better. Then I get to sit and paint and I feel like the luckiest woman because I get a space in which to create.
4. A Loving husband- who tolerates my messy art space and is with me through this entire journey. If I become nervous that we're spending too much on my art, he'll pipe in with "there is no such thing as waste when it comes to your art. It makes you happy. " Priceless and adorable.
5. Two jobs which give me flexibility and allow me to spend time with my family and to be at home. When I'm thinking, "Wow, benefits would be great" I remember that I am not "trapped" somewhere in a cubicle. I'm allowed to do what I love and keep my freedom. When I'm not teaching, I'm shopping. My students get a big kick out of it too! They think, "Someone pays you to do that?". Well, yes they do and I think they're super awesome too! Some days our banter could be a mini-comedy routine!
6. I live in a free country where I'm allowed to type and say what I think. Not everyone can say this and I'm thankful for that.
7. I'm thankful for every chance and re-chance I get at life and want to maximize it's potential.
All of these things I'm grateful for. My New Year's resolution?.... I dunno. Maybe to read more, to lose weight. We'll see if I keep them this year but if I don't I am already blessed because of these many things I already have.